The foundations for a dedicated arts precinct in our region were first laid in 1950 when Rio Vista Historic house was purchased by the Council for £18,000.
Rio Vista was acquired for use as an art gallery to display the significant works bequeathed to the community by Senator R D Elliott in 1944. Further works were also bequeathed by his late wife, Mrs Hilda Elliott in 1970.
The original art gallery was officially opened on 25 May 1956 by Governor of Victoria General Sir Dallas Brooks.
Ten years later, further development of the Mildura Regional Arts Centre as it was then called, was completed with the addition of a new gallery and theatre space, opened by the then Victorian Premier, Sir Henry Bolte on 22 November 1966.
The most recent development was finalised in 2012 with a state of the art performing arts venue and connecting the facilities together which is Stage 1 of the transformation of the Mildura arts and cultural precinct.
Mildura Arts Centre now features a 444-seat theatre, a regional art gallery, sculpture park and licensed café, with Mildura’s most important heritage building, Rio Vista Historic House, still the centre piece of the site.